Thursday, October 29, 2009

Ground Control?

Tenuous tendrils / tremendous tumor / there’s a rumor / that you ain’t so super


Drifting disconnected umbilical cut
Planet receeds behind, out of sight
Rose so high we broke the skylight
Exhale exhaust smoke and fire
Ascend exponential till we asymptote
Past even horizon when we take a toke
Escape velocity in the smoke

Got so high one day I went into outer space
Left atmosphere behind, stars I began to chase
Swimming in sunlight, riding the gravity waves
Interstellar windsurfer, wasting my days
I cruised away from earth and waved goodbye
Felt like I’d never been this high
Cursed the cool moon as I cruised through
Then I turned around and watched as mars grew
Skimmed past the red planet, saw Olympus Mons
Slingshot around the god of war and I was gone
Spat through space like Hermes quick
I thought to myself, space is fucking sick!
Saw the stars align and I just loved the pattern
Then I flew through the hoops and went to Saturn
Tripped past Jupiter, biggest of all
And I started to wonder when I’d fall
Although alone in space I can relax
Forget about my thoughts, bonds and pacts
But out there its lonely, space is cold
And this is not the way to grow old
So I fell back to earth’s embrace
Gravity keeps me tied to this place
Feet on the ground but my heads far above
Floating down from the sky like a dove
Till I again rest in this life that I love

No comments:

Post a Comment