Monday, February 1, 2010

view of the lake

Walking down observatory drive I glance aside
There’s a spot that the eye seems to slide by
Threadbare curtain of leaves drawn aside by winter
Snowfall levees hold, break, flood with memories
When I first came to school I often felt alone or bitter
Overwhelmed by experience so raw and sensory
One day I felt the need to just sit and be
So I wandered off the beaten path, away from the lake
Slipped behind the drapes and found a window
Clear view of the lakeshore, path and forest
Grounded and centered I found my rock
Big old stone on which to park my rump
Cross my legs and meditate
Close my eyes and learn
Open my eyes to see the sky
Open my legs to rejoin the herd
But while I was alone in my unseen hideaway
No one ever seemed to look my way
Eyes always faced forward
No time to look aside and smell the roses

I don’t make it past Bascom too often anymore
Rarely have the time to sit on the lakeshore
But I’ll always have my sideways sitting
Never forget my little zen rock
And whenever shit gets tough or I think of quitting
I’ve learned that there’s a way to stop the clock
To sit and appreciate the beauty of a moment
To live your life like it was a sonnet
Slip out of the push, the grind the bustle
Sit down and contemplate my hustle
Breathe in the air, crisp cold draught
Breathe out my cares, dark heavy thoughts
Breathe in nature, breathe out nurture
Breathe in life, breathe out strife
Breathe in free, breathe out me
Breathe in, breathe out
Be

No comments:

Post a Comment